Definition of Homework
Bukit Batok Secondary School
1. Homework refers to any learning activity that students are required by the school to complete outside of curriculum time. This includes assignments and projects. Homework is an essential part of the learning process which informs on-going teacher assessment and reporting. Research suggests that the relationship between the amount and quality of student homework and achievement is positive and statistically significant. (See Cooper, Robinson, and Patall, 2006)
Value of Homework
2. Homework enables students to practise the skills taught and process the information learnt, resulting in better understanding and retention of learning. Through homework assignments, students have the opportunity to learn outside the classroom and nurture greater self-discipline, time management and self-directedness. In the process, students cultivate good study habits and positive work ethics. Homework, when used appropriately, can reinforce students’ learning, contribute to their progress and cultivate a healthy disposition towards learning.
Guidelines on Homework
3. The school seeks to ensure students’ wellness by not overloading students with homework assignments. It adopts the following guidelines to manage the workload of students. The school and teachers have worked out an estimated amount of time that students would spend to complete their homework assignments daily.
WEEKLY HOMEWORK ALLOCATION GUIDELINES
|Level||Estimated Time Spent on Homework Daily|
|Sec 1||1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes|
|Sec 2||1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes|
|Sec 3||1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours|
|Sec 4 & 5||1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours|
The School requires that all homework be completed by the given deadline.4. Teachers assign homework on a regular basis to help students:
• review and practice what they have learned;
• prepare for the next lesson;
• learn to use resources e.g. Internet, libraries, reference materials and texts;• explore subjects more fully than is possible within the classroom;
• develop self-discipline, responsibility and time management skills.
Teachers will assign homework tasks that have a specific purpose and which have clear instructions.
5. During the school holidays, homework assignments will be issued. The school and teachers have worked out an estimated amount of time that students would spend on each subject during the duration.
GUIDELINES ON HOMEWORK DURING SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
|Period||Estimated Time Spent on Homework for each Subject|
|March Holidays||1 hour 30 minutes per subject|
|June Holidays||4 hours per subject|
|September Holidays||1 hour 30 minutes per subject|
|Year-End Holidays||4 hours per subject|